Supporting Breakthroughs On Campus
TWO SPIRITS is available for classroom use, in school libraries, and special screenings. The award-winning documentary is appealing to students because it’s a film about someone like them. It’s accessible. It’s compelling. Teachers also love having TWO SPIRITS on campus because the discussions that follow are passionate and engaged. The film leverages interest across many subjects, and it moves students to action.
Imagine an exploration of gender and LGBT equality that is intellectually rigorous and emotionally heartfelt. A dialogue about traditions from the past that can inspire students to treat each other with respect now and in the future.
TWO SPIRITS is about a terrible hate crime and the death of a young Navajo boy who was also a girl but it’s also about love—of a mother for her son, and of many Native cultures for their two-spirit people. It’s a message that resonates with a wide range of people and creates healing.
Special Event Screening
TWO SPIRITS moves attitudes from mere tolerance, or acceptance, to a celebration of LGBT and two-spirit people. It demonstrates how they contribute to their families, friends, and communities not in spite of, but because of who they are. That’s a BIG change. It’s about same sex unions having been honored for thousands of years. It’s about a spectrum of gender. It’s about respecting who people are and what they have to contribute. Like when a young person comes out to their traditional Native grandmother and her response is, “Oh, my friends will be so jealous!” That’s what people experience: that shift.
Classroom discussions in all sorts of classes can be easily linked to the content of TWO SPIRITS. Where food is offered students gather—naturally! Local food sponsors can help anchor an event and drive attendance. And when students get class credit, events are full and great conversations follow. Forums around issues raised in the film are often effective.
- Where does TWO SPIRITS work in your curriculum and student life programs?
- How can multiple departments and student groups join together to maximize the reach and impact of an event? Are there nonprofit organizations in the larger community that can be invited to join in?
- How can local media help generate awareness before, during, and after the event?
- Where are the opportunities to use TWO SPIRITS to support a shift in awareness, behavior, and action now and over time?
For an on-campus screening event with a guest speaker from the film please be in touch with our team. The cost varies depending on the number of people and travel distance. Screening/appearance fees are based on the size of
the event and whether attendance is charged. There are often ways to pool financial resources from multiple sources for these events involving several departments, LGBT organizations, special funds from a Dean, and local nonprofit organizations. Think about ways to link your goals with those with similar needs.
We have had successful TWO SPIRITS events and screenings at Harvard University, UCLA, the University of Missouri, Cal State Fullerton, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, San Jose State, University of Michigan, Washington State University, and the University of Southern California.
Why students need to see TWO SPIRITS:
1. We’ve heard from young people who are no longer suicidal after seeing TWO SPIRITS because they take away a strong sense of pride and identity.
2. We’ve seen the significant healing that takes place when stories are shared in a context that shifts attitudes and behaviors.
3. The film stimulates action and deepens the discussion around sexuality and gender in ways that will influence many students for the rest of their lives.
In The Classroom
Order consumer copies copies for individual students to check out from school libraries or to order in bulk wholesale as a fundraiser to support an organization or event.
Order an educational use copy of the film that includes public performance rights for use in classrooms in perpetuity through The Cinema Guild.
Click here to order t-shirts.
Email us to order buttons.
Click here to download the TWO SPIRITS Study Guide.
Download our Fundraising Proposition for Youth Nationwide PDF file.
Please share with philanthropists and foundations.
If you have any questions, please contact us.